Is Dance a Yoga ?
Is Dance a YOGA ?
The story of an ordinary dancer turned devotee.
For the whole of my early childhood and into my teens,
twenties and early thirties I studied the beliefs of ancient civilisations. I
searched for long lost texts, stone circles and temples that may be able to
share with me a secret. A secret I was longing to hear. The answer to that age
old question. Why are we here ? I was sure that somewhere out there, in the
world the answer existed. None the less the question tormented and teased.
I travelled far and
wide in search of this answer. It may sound corny but it makes it none the less
true. I sat on edge of so many shores, on the peaks of mountaintops. I saw many
wonders and just as many horrors. Eventually I bowed my head and sighed in woe.
For all my travels, for all my research, for the accumulated knowledge gathered
over many years I was still to find the answer.
Disillusioned with the world, the apathy of society, the
greed of man and the suffering of so many of earths creatures. I was not truly
happy. Did I even believe in spirit anymore ?
Happiness is love and love is spirit in it's most divine
form of existence and absolute.
For moments I had found happiness. For brief moments I had
found peace but something was still missing. I had only grasped at spirit.
I thought I had failed. I had not found the answer and was
sure now I never would.
I bowed my head and from somewhere I heard a voice. As clear
as any voice I had ever heard.
The voice said to me, ''Of course you have not failed. Of
course you know the answer. You have devoted your life to prayer.''
''But I no longer pray,'' I answered the voice in defiance.
''Oh you do pray child,'' the voice replied with such
confidence. ''Every time you dance. Every time you bare you soul in movement
unabashed without thought or care. You ask for nothing and you receive all. You
tell me you do not know this ? ''
'' I do know it, I know how I feel when I dance.'' I
answered.
''Well then dry your tears, they are a gift from God as are
the feet you bare to the earth and the palms you hold to the sky. Every time
you dance your question disappears. It no longer exists. It was a part of your
mind and not an absolute. Your devotion to spirit, your knowing is clear for
all to see. The trees see, the birds and animals see, your sisters and brothers
see. This is how you teach them. This is why you are here.''
The lord of the dance had spoken to me, from whence he came
I do not question.
Shiva's divine dance or Tandava as passed down from ancient Indian scripture and displayed in satue form in Hindu temples globally is said to be the source of the cycle of creation, preservation and dissolution. In Shaiva Siddhanta tradition, Shiva as Nataraja (lit. "Lord of dance") is considered the supreme lord of dance.
I had been dancing for as long as I could remember, I was a
teacher of dance but on that day I became a student once more. First observing
and then suspending observation to allow the dance to take me over. This is how one truly becomes a dancer. The
dancer must learn how to become the dance.
I studied dance ethnology. Global, folkloric and temple dances.
I discovered the importance placed on story telling in dance culture and
ceremony in many of our oldest societies. Enthralled by the connection to nature
and spirit people find through dance.
I started to understand that dance was an integral part of
culture the world over. And to many a form of prayer and devotion.
In yoga we would describe this as a form of bhakti or worship.
In yoga we would describe this as a form of bhakti or worship.
In mystical dance and when we whirl [Sufi whirling or Sema]
we worship at nature's altar. We dance to become one with the earth, the
elements. We dance the same dance as the birds and butterflies tracing ancient and
sacred circles.
In folkloric and temple dance we tell a story. We can share
the wisdom and pain, the glory and gain of our ancestors. Each dance belongs to
a lineage we as dancers represent. We echo those people who danced the earth
hundreds and even thousands of years before we arrived. They can feel our feet
upon the earth and see the golden strands we weave with our hands. They stand
behind us.
Dancers depicted on ancient Greek vases.
People have danced as long as we can remember. Ancient cave
paintings from east to west, hieroglyphs and vases bear the images of humans
dancing.
Belly dance was used in ritual preparation for birth.
Babies have been shown to respond to music and the beat of a
drum even before they recognise their mothers voice.
Movement therapy has seen hugely beneficial results in
patients suffering with degenerative brain diseases.
There are sill places on earth where dancers live in temples
devoting themselves to years of mastering intricate madras or hand postures and
sequences. Tribes who enact the movements that represent the life cycle of maps
of the stars from whence we came. People dance in night clubs to forget their
worries. The ritual of a wedding dance has held stead fast regardless of
religion in most parts of the world.
Old Batik art piece portraying a Persian wedding dance.
We dance to the beat of a drum. We dance when we feel happy
and when we come together in large groups. We have danced since the dawn of
time and we will dance until the end of it. Of this I am certain.
In today's world dance programs such as zumba© saw huge success
bringing different styles of dance and world music to new audiences. By
keeping the choreography simple and fun many people who would have been intimidated
to attempt mastering a whole new dance style were able to experience the joys
of these global dances and get a glimpse of the rhythms and flavour of different
ethnicities .
Through teaching zumba and later my own dance fitness program I would witness first hand the
transformational effects of dance on large groups. Most of these groups were
dominated by woman. I would see a sisterhood developing between dancers that
extended far beyond the dance floor.
One of my lovely Let's Dance© groups from Bejing.
As I begin to share the arts of mystical and folkloric dance with groups around the world through performance and workshops I relish sharing with my sisters the power, grace and beauty they have access to and how they are supported in their actions by those who have danced before them.
In my sacred dance workshops we experience the power dance has to heal the womb and bring back balance to the female body and monthly cycle.
I continue to host classes and workshops
for both men and women from Asia to Europe where we explore different dance styles for fun, fitness, vitality and vigour. Because to dance is to be alive and truly I believe
everyone can ! With practice and study we just develop a greater understanding
of the movement and methods and our style is improved. We stop thinking about
it so much, we get our of our heads and
simply do it. This is why some people seem to be much better or more natural
dancers than others.
To me dance is more than a physical practice alone, is a form of devotion, a path to God or spirit and it has become the art to which I have happily devoted my body and time here on earth.
It is my hope that one day everyone can have the opportunity to experience dance in this way and the knowledge of our sacred and folkloric or tribal dances and their beauty and power are returned to us once more.







Comments
Post a Comment